The role of search engine optimisation (SEO) in the success of a business is quite evident in today’s date. In fact, effective SEO practices provide a conversion rate of 14.6% , where the traditional methods of outbound marketing offer only about 1.7% of conversion rates. But before you prepare an SEO strategy to boost your brand awareness, you need to acknowledge some of the biggest SEO mistakes which have the potential of destroying a brand.
Interestingly, these SEO mistakes that I’m going to discuss in this blog are rather easy to avoid. However, a lot of businesses still end up making these mistakes, which forces them to either change their entire strategy or to shut their businesses. You can stay a few steps ahead of your competition and make optimum use of the SEO tactics if you can simply avoid the SEO mistakes mentioned below:
Mistake #1: Serving a general audience:
It’s true that the more audience, the better. But that does not mean you should aim your SEO strategy to the general audience on the internet. You need to understand that the internet is as big as you can imagine. To make sure your message is heard by the prospects, you need to define your target audience.
In order to identify your ideal customer, simply ask yourself these following questions:
- What gender does your product or service cater to?
- People from which economic background will be interested in your product/service?
- What does your ideal customer need?
- People from which part of the world are likely to use your product/service?
- Which age group does your product/service cater to?
If you need more advanced data to determine your target audience, you can seek statistics assignment help from organisations which conduct independent surveys on the market. The idea is to attract people who will be genuinely interested in what you are offering.
Mistake #2: Not knowing how to use a keyword:
Keywords are an integral part of an SEO strategy. If you do not know their use in search engine optimisation, then you must educate yourself about it right now. Keywords are basically words and phrases that allow the users to find your pages on the internet through search engines. Google’s crawlers analyse the site based on the keywords to understand the purpose of the content.
If you are using an irrelevant keyword to market your product/service or using the keywords incorrectly, it may not yield the results you are expecting. Here is how you can avoid this mistake:
- Conduct keyword research to identify effective keywords for your site.
- Use long-tailed keywords in the content since they fetch better results on voice searches.
- Use the primary keyword in meta tags and for several times in the content for better rank on the SEO rankings.
- Conduct keyword research regularly to update and expand the SEO keyword list.
Learn more about the use of keyword in your web content here.
Mistake #3: Not Optimising The Site For Mobile:
In a time when half of the web searches are done on mobile phones, every user expects your website to be mobile-friendly. In fact, the search engines, like Google, have started to crawl and index your web pages based on how the page renders on the mobile devices. It’s called mobile- first indexing. So now, if you want your website to rank better on search engines, you need to optimize your phone for mobiles as well.
Here’s what you can do:
- Use a responsive WordPress theme; it will do half the job.
- Resize the images; WordPress plugins like Smush can make it easier.
- Improve the loading speed of the webpages. Incorporate AMP .
- Install caching plugins to help the pages load faster on mobiles.
Also, try to deliver bite-sized content. The mobile users don’t usually have the time to read thousand-word long pages.
Mistake #4: Not Adding High-Quality Content:
You cannot think of a website without content. And the web page content actually plays a crucial role in determining the SEO ranking of the page. If you are not building high-quality content for your website, you are losing the opportunity to bring traffic to your website organically. If your website does not have any blog section or you have one, but don’t have quality content to offer, you are making a mistake.
Here’s what you can do:
- Create a separate blog section for the website, if you don’t have one already.
- Post quality content on a regular basis to provide visitors with something new every time.
- Make sure the blog posts are relevant to your business.
- Keep a healthy balance of keywords and information in the content, so that the prospects find value in it.
You should consider developing a separate content marketing strategy for your website, as it is closely related to the SEO of the content. If you need some ideas about content marketing, you can find it here.
Mistake #5: Not Earning Enough Backlinks:
You need to understand that boosting the onsite SEO of the website is not going to be enough in this competitive environment. In order to rank higher in search engine results pages (SERP), you need to focus on offsite SEO as well. Getting backlinks from reputed, high-performing websites can help your website improve its SEO ranking. But unfortunately, a lot of businesses don’t even know about backlinking. Basically, a backlink is a link which one website gets from another website. Here’s everything you need to know about backlinks.
To receive quality backlinks from reputed websites, here’s what you should do:
- Write as a guest for other websites and link a page of the website in either the guest content or in the author bio.
- Find the broken links on other websites and offer to replace them with your relevant and valuable links.
- Find competitors backlinks and pick their strategy.
- You can also backlink your own content and build internal links.
When your website starts to earn quality backlinks from reputed websites, Google starts to identify your website content as valuable. This is why, the pages with more number of quality backlinks rank higher on the internet.
In digital marketing, there are more than just 5 SEO mistakes that businesses need to avoid in today’s date. If I had to cover all of them, the blog would be never-ending, and I would still miss a great number of SEO mistakes in the blog. But there’s a catch. Google keeps on updating its SEO requirements every once in a while. So, you need to keep yourself up-to-date with the latest SEO trends if you really want your business to see at the top of Google’s SERP one day.
Author bio: Kady Smith is a professional analyst at a reputed e-commerce company in Australia. She is also associated with MyAssignmenthelp.com as an expert, offering research paper writing to students on request. She loves learning new things and runs her own blogging website.
Read more related article: 6 Ways You Can Generate Leads with YouTube